Moving your contacts from one CRM to another can get tricky. Many CRM's have their own formatting for spreadsheets, different required fields, and so on. As a result, sometimes you just need to delete anything that was improperly imported and try again.
In other situations, you may just need to clean out a lot of old contacts in your CRM. Maybe these are past customers, maybe they were leads that never turned to contacts. Regardless of the reasoning, removing a large volume of contacts is necessary from time to time.
Either of those sound familiar? If so, read on to learn how deleting unneeded contacts is easier than ever in Marketing 360 thanks to new options to filter contacts or make specific selections, then bulk delete.
Option 1: Select and Delete
If you need to select all contacts on a page and delete them, use the checkbox at the top of the CRM Contacts page to select everyone on that page, then click the Delete button. This basic option allows you to delete up to 50 contacts at once.
Option 2: Filter and Delete
There are other times when only a specific group of contacts should be deleted. This could be contacts assigned to a specific user, contacts of a specific source, status, type, or even based on custom filters.
- use one of the dropdown menus at the top of the Contacts page to select the right group of contacts. You can select assignment, source, status, type, or filter by a custom field. You can also use multiple selections when needed to really get specific. Below is a basic example of selecting all contacts with the Past Client contact type.
- Once you've filtered your contacts appropriately, click the three-dot icon near the top right corner of the page and select Delete. This will delete all the contacts that match the filter. There is no need to select them on the page to delete them. Rather than having to select all and delete 50 at a time as in option 1, this tool allows you to delete any number of contacts all at once.
- Since this action can't be undone, you'll be asked to confirm the total number of contacts you're about to delete. Check the box to confirm, then click Next.
- Deleting contacts can also delete resources like files, tasks, history items, projects, and deals associated to the contact. Next you'll be asked what to do with any of those resources for the contacts you're about to delete.
If you'd like to delete them along with the contact, check the appropriate box.
For example, selecting History Items on this list will completely remove the items associated to the contact from the History page.
If you'd like to keep the resource on file, un-check the box.
For example, leaving History Items un-selected will keep the items associated to the contact on your History page, but they will no longer be associated to any contact.
- Once you've made all the necessary selections, click Delete.
Whether you're importing contacts from a different CRM and you run into issues or if you just need to do some CRM housekeeping, don't hesitate to reach out to your marketing team or submit a ticket here with questions about how to use the bulk delete feature. We're here to help!