One great way to keep your brand front-of-mind for your customers is to reach out to them on their birthday. You can set up an Email Journey that sends your subscribers an email on their birthday - you can offer them a special gift, coupon, offer, or simply a message that thanks them for being a loyal customer.
To set up a Birthday Email Journey, you will need to first collect their date of birth, set up a "Date" custom field on the Email List, and then set up a "Date" Journey.
Step 1. Collect their Birthday
To associate the users on your Email List with their date of birth, you will need to first set up a "Birthday" field on your list's signup form. To add or edit a signup form, navigate to the Email Lists tab on the Nurture dashboard:
- Find the list you want to use, and click the vertical ellipses (three vertical dots) icon on the right-hand side of the page. Select Add signup form (if you have not yet created a signup form) or Edit signup form (to edit the existing form).
- On the left-hand sidebar, under Fields, select Add New Field.
- Under Field name, enter the label that you want to include on the form field. For example, "Birthday" or "When is your birthday?". Under Data type, select Date from the dropdown menu.
- Save the new field, and then Save the form.
Step 2. Set up a 'Date' Custom Field
To set up a Custom Field, navigate to the Email Lists tab on the Nurture dashboard:
- Find the list you want to use, and click the vertical ellipses (three vertical dots) icon on the right-hand side of the page. Select Add custom field from the dropdown menu.
- Under Add a new field, enter a name under Field Name (i.e. "Birthday"). Select Date from the Data Type dropdown menu.
- Click Add custom field to save it.
Step 3. Set up Journey
Finally, you will want to set up the Journey. Navigate to the Automation tab on the Nurture dashboard, then select Create a new automation.
- On the pop-up that appears, select Build a custom journey.
- Enter a name for the journey under Name this journey.
- Under What will trigger this journey?, select An anniversary of a date.
- Under Recipients, choose the Email List that you would like to receive the emails.
- Under When should this journey start? Select the name of the Custom Date Field that you created (for example, "Birthday" or "Birthdate").
- Select Build your journey.
- Add your first step to the journey by clicking the + button below the trigger, then selecting Email.
- The Email settings will appear on the left-hand sidebar. Scroll to the bottom of the sidebar, then select Add email content.
You will be prompted to select an email template. You can choose from the library of pre-built templates or select one of your own.
- Build out the content of the email. You can send a customized 'Happy Birthday' message and include discounts, special access to services, or just a warm, fuzzy birthday greeting!
- When finished building the email content, you can click Send a test email or skip the test by selecting Preview, then save on the top-right corner of the email builder.
- If everything looks good, click Save & return to journey on the top-right corner of the page.
Finally, turn it on using the Turn on journey button in the top right corner of the page.