Do you run a business - such as a restaurant or delivery service - where customers traditionally leave you tips? If so, then you can continue to accept tips and gratuity right on your checkout page. Customers can choose a tip amount as they are completing the checkout process.
How Tipping Works on the Shop App
The tipping feature is transparent to customers - the tips are displayed and calculated automatically in the Order Details and on the Option buttons. Your customers will know exactly how much they will spend.
If you prefer to accept tips as a percentage of the total order, then the gratuity will be calculated as a percentage of the order's cost, before tax.
Tips are not subject to tax calculation. For example, if a customer leaves a $10 tip, then they will only pay $10 - not $11 or $12. However, you will want to double-check your local tax regulations to make sure you comply with their rules.
After the order is placed, both you and the customer will see the tips itemized in the order details. To find this, select My Sales > Orders on the left-hand sidebar, then click on the desired order.
Setting up Tipping for Orders
- On the left-hand sidebar of your Shop App, click on Settings and select General from the dropdown menu.
- On the General Settings dashboard, select the Cart & Checkout tab at the top of the page.
- On the Cart & Checkout dashboard, scroll down to the section labeled Tips and gratuity.
- Enable the tipping option at checkout by clicking on the toggle switch (see screenshot below).
- A notification bar will appear at the top of the screen; click Save.
- Select the Tip Settings button; you will be directed to a new page.
- In the Tip wording section, you can customize the text displayed to customers before the tip is added (i.e. "support us with a donation", or "add a tip to your order").
- In the Tip amounts section, you can select either "Percentage of order total" (i.e. 15% or 20%) or "Fixed Amounts" (i.e. $10 or $15). You can also add or subtract the number of options - "0" is an option as well.
- Click Save at the top of the page to confirm your settings.
Once the above steps are completed, then customers will now have the option to leave a tip or gratuity when they make a purchase!