Exporting UXi® data (pages, posts, categories, tags, custom taxonomies, locations, testimonials) is sometimes necessary and useful. If you are moving to a new host or just want a backup of your site data, then Exporting your site is the answer. Once the Export files are created, they can be imported by another UXi® or WordPress site.
The Tools Export page is simple. You can access it by clicking the "Tools" icon on the left-hand sidebar within the back-end editor of your website dashboard. You will specify the desired Filters, if any, you wish to apply, and then click the Download Export File button to save that file to your local computer.
How to Export Your Website Contents
When you click the Download Export File button, WordPress will create an XML file for you to save to your computer.
This format, which is called and WordPress eXtended RSS or WXR file, will contain your posts, pages, custom post types, comments, custom fields, categories, tags, custom taxonomies, and users.
Once you’ve saved the download file, you can use Administration > Tools > Import > WordPress at another WordPress site to import this data. Note, if using the importer plugin, it has to be enabled.
Filters and Other Options
- All content - export all of your posts, pages, comments, custom fields, terms, navigation menus, and custom posts.
- Posts - Check this option to export the posts from the site.
- Pages - Check this option to export the pages from the site
- Locations - Check this option to export the locations from the site. Remember that these can only be imported to other UXi sites.
- Testimonials - Check this option to export the testimonials from the site. Remember that these can only be imported to other UXi sites.
- Media - Check this option to export the files from the media library.
Filtering The Export
Pages, posts, and media can be filtered before exporting. This is a handy option when you only need to export specific content.
- Authors - select a specific author from the pulldown or leave at All Authors.
- Date range - select both the starting and ending page date to include in export.
- Status - select the page status (e.g. Published)
Once you've selected the content to export, click the Download Export File button to download the XML file to your computer.