If you run a Call Tracking campaign or communicate with your customers via SMS text messages, then you can set up a link between your CRM, Intelligence, and Nurture dashboard so that the records of phone calls and text message correspondence will automatically populate in a CRM Contact's profile.
In order for a Contact profile to be synced with call and text message records, they must:
- Be an existing Contact within your CRM
- Have a matching phone number that contains only numbers, with no hyphens, parentheses or other special characters (see example below).
To get started, navigate to your CRM dashboard.
Step 1: Set Up a New Contact Source
In order for Call Tracking phone calls or SMS text messages to populate in a CRM Contact, you will need to set up a new Contact Source. To do this, select Settings at the top of the CRM dashboard, then select Contact Sources on the left-hand sidebar.
1. Click Add Contact Source and choose a name for the Source (i.e. "Call From Website" or "Text Message").
2. The new Contact Source will appear in the list. Click on it, and COPY the BCC form notification (see screenshot below).
Step 2: Set up the Notifications
Link Call Tracking Calls with a CRM Contact
To link Call Tracking phone calls with your CRM Contact, you will need to add the new Contact Source to the Call Tracking settings. To get started:
1. Select the App Bar dropdown in the top-left corner of the page to navigate to the Intelligence dashboard.
2. At the top of the Intelligence dashboard, select Settings.
3. Select Call Tracking on the left-hand sidebar, then under Email Notifications, click on Add Person to Notify.
4. In the Email Address field, PASTE the BCC form notification that you copied in the steps above.
5. To populate the Email Notification in Field Mapping for your source, call one of the tracking numbers on your website.
Link SMS Text Messages with a CRM Contact
To link SMS text messages with your CRM Contact, you will need to add the new Contact Source to the Email Notification settings. To get started:
1. Select the App Bar dropdown in the top-left corner of the page to navigate to the Nurture dashboard.
2. On the Nurture dashboard, select Text Marketing > Settings > Email Notifications.
3. Replace the email with the BCC notification that you copied in the first set of steps. Note: there is only one email allowed at a time.
4. Send a text to populate the source Field Mapping notification.
Step 3: Map the Contact Source to the CRM
Finally, select CRM from the App Bar dropdown in the top-left corner of your dashboard.
1. Select Settings at the top of the CRM dashboard, then select Contact Sources on the left-hand sidebar.
2. Select the Contact Source that you created from the list. In the below example, we will select the "Text Notification".
3. At the top of the page, select the Field Mapping tab. On the left-hand side of the page, you should see a copy of the email notification from the "test" text message that you sent.
4. On the top-right corner of the page, click +New Mapping.
5. Select the field you use for storing phone numbers in the CRM (typically "Phone").
6. Check the box labeled Do not create new contact if the value of this field matches an existing contact. This will ensure that an existing Contact is updated if they call or send a text message.
7. Next, you will want to make sure that the Phone Number is the "value" that creates or updates a contact. To do this, you will need to set the beginning and end points where the content is "scraped".
- Under Scrape content between beginning, enter "Subscriber".
- Under and End, enter "has sent you an incoming message".
This will ensure that any content that between the words "Subscriber" and "has sent you an incoming message" in the notification is "scraped"; in this case, the phone number. See the screenshot below for reference.
8. Next, click on the + New Mapping again. This time, select the field "Most Recent Text". If you did not already create this field, then you will need to add it in your CRM Settings under Fields. How to create new Contact Fields.
9. You will need to specify the content of the text message that will update on the Contact profile. To do this, you will need to set the beginning and end points where the content is "scraped".
- Under Scrape content between beginning, enter "Message:".
- Under and End, enter "Go to your SMS".
This will ensure that any content that between the words "Message" and "Go to your SMS" in the notification is "scraped"; in this case, the content in the text message. See the screenshot below for reference.
10. Click Submit.
11. In the Contact Preview section on the right-hand side of the page, click on Test Email Processing to ensure that the phone number and text message content populate successfully.
Notes on Call Mapping
If you also plan on sending Text Notifications to the CRM, be sure to exclude the area code from the
phone number. (This may vary for countries outside of the United States, so cross-check
your Text Contacts to see if the area code is included with their phone number.)
An Example of Proper Mapping:
- Start "- +1"
- End "- Call Received"
Most Recent Call:
- Start "Fuel Your Brand®️]"
- End "Show Call Conversion"
(Optional) Test Your New Connection
Once you have mapped the notifications, then your connection is made! You can call one of the tracking numbers or text [your keyword][message] again to test it. You will want to first add yourself as a "Test" Contact, complete with your Phone Number if you aren't already in your CRM.