One great way to keep your brand front-of-mind for your customers is to reach out to them on their birthday! After all, who doesn't like a birthday message, or better yet, a birthday gift!
After they have texted your base keyword to your assigned SMS number, your contacts can give you their name and/or birthday by simply texting it to you.
Collecting Contact Birthdays & Names
How will users know to text you these details, you ask? You can Ask all contacts for their birthdays in one easy request or set up an SMS Campaign.
Ask Contacts for Their Birthdays
You can collect info like a subscriber's name and birthday with one simple setup.
1. Navigate to the Birthdays page in Marketing 360® Nurture.
2. Scroll to the Getting Contacts Birthday Data panel, and click Ask Contacts for their birthdays.
3. Enter a message title in the Title field. This is only used internally. Your subscribers will never see it.
4. Enter your request in the Message field. You can customize the message as needed ,but it's important to include instructions like Reply with "DOB MM DD" so your subscribers know how to respond.
5. Select a date to send the message in the Send Date field.
6. Select a time to send the message in the Send Time field.
7. Click Send Message.
When the message is sent, it will only be delivered to subscribers that have not already submitted their birthday. This way, your subscribers aren't being repeatedly asked for their info if you re-use this option.
For this example, lets use assume we're adding a new contact named John Doe. John's birthday is January 15.
If John replies with 'DOB 01 15' his birthday will be updated in your SMS Marketing account.
Using Campaigns to Request Subscribers' Birthdays
Another option to collect subscriber details like a name and / or birthday is an SMS campaign.
Again, we'll use the previous example where M360 is the base keyword for an SMS Marketing account.
Lets also assume we're adding a new contact named John Doe. John's birthday is January 15.
The next step is to create an SMS campaign with a keyword combo like 'M360 Birthday'. Your birthday campaign will be comprised of two outgoing messages: one that asks for the subscriber's name, and a second that asks for their birthday.
Once John sends an initial subscription message to your base keyword of 'M360', he's now subscribed to receive your text message marketing. Respond by asking him to respond with 'M360 Birthday'. That message will begin the birthday campaign.
The campaign would respond with a message asking them to text the word NAME followed by their first and last name. IE: NAME JOHN DOE
Your next message would then ask them to text DOB followed by their birth month & day. IE: DOB 01 15
If John responds to both messages in the campaign, you will have collected his name and birthday. Now let's move on to configuring and customizing the message he receives on his birthday!
Now that you're collecting your subscribers' birthdays, it's time to dive into sending them a birthday greeting!
Creating a Birthday Message
You can send a customized 'Happy Birthday' message to anyone that submits their birthday. Include discounts, special access to services, or just a warm, fuzzy birthday greeting!
1. Navigate to the Birthday page within Marketing 360 Nurture.
2. Activate the birthday message by toggling the Activate option near the top right corner of the page.
If you ever need to turn off birthday messages, toggle this option to the left.
3. Enter the message you'd like to send to your subscribers in the Message field.
4. Select an option in the When should this message be sent? field. Choose any weekly option between their actual birthday and 4 weeks prior. This way you can send them their birthday greeting at a time that makes sense for the type of message you'd like to send.
5. Click Save Changes.
Viewing Birthdays by Month
If you ever need to know the number of birthdays in any given month, you can view monthly stats in the Birthdays by Month section of the Birthday page.
Viewing Upcoming Birthdays
If you ever need to which users have birthdays in the near future, find out by scrolling down to the Upcoming Birthdays section of the Birthday page. This panel displays all birthdays that fall within the current or upcoming month.