One great way to keep your brand front-of-mind for your customers is to reach out to them on their birthday! After all, who doesn't like a birthday message, or better yet, a birthday gift!
After they have texted your base keyword to your assigned text marketing number, your contacts can give you their name and/or birthday by simply texting it to you.
Collecting Contact Birthdays & Names
How will users know to text you these details, you ask? You can ask all contacts for their birthdays in one easy request or set up an automated journey.
Ask All Contacts for Their Birthdays with a One-time Text Message
You can collect info like a subscriber's name and birthday with one simple setup.
1. Navigate to the Birthdays page in Marketing 360® Nurture.
2. Scroll to the Getting Contacts Birthday Data panel, and click Ask Contacts for their birthdays.
3. Enter a message title in the Title field. This is only used internally. Your subscribers will never see it.
4. Enter your request in the Message field. You can customize the message as needed, but it's important to include instructions like Reply with "DOB MM DD" so your subscribers know how to respond.
5. Select a date to send the message in the Send Date field.
6. Select a time to send the message in the Send Time field.
7. Click Send Message.
When the message is sent, it will only be delivered to subscribers that have not already submitted their birthday. This way, your subscribers aren't being repeatedly asked for their info if you re-use this option.
For this example, lets use assume we're adding a new contact named John Doe. John's birthday is January 15.
If John replies with 'DOB 01 15' his birthday will be updated in your Text Marketing account.
Using Journeys to Request Subscribers' Birthdays
You can use an automated journey to collect subscriber details like a name and / or birthday is an automated journey.
We'll use the same details from the previous example where madventure is the base keyword for a Text Marketing account.
Let's also assume we're adding a new contact named John Doe. John's birthday is January 15.
The first step is to create an automated journey with a keyword combo like 'madventure birthday'. Your birthday campaign will be comprised of two outgoing messages: one that asks for the subscriber's name, and a second that asks for their birthday.
Once John sends an initial subscription message to your base keyword of 'madventure', he's now subscribed to receive your text message marketing. Respond by asking him to to sign up for your birthday promotion by responding with 'madventure birthday'. That message will begin the birthday journey.
The journey would respond with a message asking them to text the word NAME followed by their first and last name. Here's an example of the text you could send:
"Thanks for signing up for our updates! To receive a birthday promotion, respond by typing NAME, then entering your first and last name."
The response the subscriber sends should look like this: NAME JOHN DOE
Your next message would then ask them to text DOB followed by their birth month & day. Here's an example:
"Thanks! Now let us know when to send you the promo. Respond by typing DOB, then your birth month & year."
The response the subscriber sends should look like this: DOB 01 15
If John responds to both messages in the campaign, you will have collected his name and birthday.
Creating a Birthday Message
You can send a customized 'Happy Birthday' message to anyone that submits their birthday. Include discounts, special access to services, or just a warm, fuzzy birthday greeting!
1. Navigate to the Birthday page within Marketing 360® Nurture.
2. Enter the message you'd like to send to your subscribers in the Message field.
4. Select an option in the When should this message be sent? field. Choose any weekly option between their actual birthday and 4 weeks prior. This way you can send them their birthday greeting at a time that makes sense for the type of message you'd like to send.
5. Click Create Message.
Viewing Birthdays by Month
If you ever need to know the number of birthdays in any given month, you can view monthly stats in the Birthdays by Month section of the Birthday page.
Viewing Upcoming Birthdays
If you ever need to which users have birthdays in the near future, find out by scrolling down to the Upcoming Birthdays section of the Birthday page. This panel displays all birthdays that fall within the current or upcoming month.
Article is closed for comments.