An order status contains updates about the payment and shipping status of a particular order. In addition to default statuses that exist in your store, you can create custom order statuses. For example, you can create a “Partially Shipped” status for orders that you ship in multiple packages, or an “Awaiting Accounting” status for invoices that your accountant prepares before receiving payment.
Add a custom status
You can create up to three payment statuses and three fulfillment statuses for your store. Any custom status that you create will exist alongside the default order statuses.
To add a new custom status:
- Select Settings > General > Cart & Checkout on the left-hand sidebar of your Shop dashboard.
- Scroll down to the Custom order statuses section, then select Manage Custom Statuses.
- On the page that appears, select + Add Status.
- Enter a custom status name and select whether it's a "payment" or "fulfillment" status.
- (optional) Enable the Send the “Order status changed“ customer notification when the status is assigned option if you want customers to receive the “Order status changed” notification when this status is set for an order.
- Select Add Status.
Set a custom status for orders
After you create a custom status, then you will need to add it to your orders.
- Select My sales > Orders on the left-hand sidebar of your Shop dashboard.
- Find your order and select the status drop down menu.
- Select your custom status from the list.
Edit custom statuses
To edit a custom status:
- Select Settings > General > Cart & Checkout > Custom order statuses on the left-hand sidebar of your Shop dashboard.
- Select Manage Custom Statuses. You will see a list of custom statuses that you’ve created.
- Select Actions > Edit for the status that you want to adjust.
- Edit status name, type and/or email notification settings.
- Click Save.
The updated status will appear in your store, and the status on existing orders will be automatically renamed.
Delete a custom status
To delete a custom status:
- Navigate to Settings > General > Cart & Checkout > Custom order statuses on the left-hand sidebar of your Shop dashboard.
- Select Manage Custom Statuses. You will see a list of all of your custom statuses.
- Click Actions > Delete > Yes for the custom status that you want to delete.
Once a custom status is deleted, it will no longer show in the details of the orders on the Orders page and in customer accounts.